Source: Chaplains in the Jurisdiction of the Presidency of Fort St George from 1647 to 1805 (Rev Frank Perry, The Church In Madras 1904)
Biography: JOHN EVANS was appointed by the Directors for service at the Hugli factories in 1677. He arrived at his destination in July 1678, and thus became the second resident Bay Chaplain. Being connected by marriage with two of the Hugli merchants he associated himself with them in some of their trading ventures. He remained at the Bay till 1689, when he went with Charnock and the remnant of the Bay establishment to Fort St. George. At the Bay he was also associated with private traders and Interlopers, so that when he arrived at Fort St. George, he was ordered by the Company to stay there or to be dismissed. A year later he was dismissed, having betaken himself so entirely to merchandizing. He was born in 1650 at Llanarmon, Merionethshire; he matriculated at Jesus College Oxford, and graduated B.A. 1671 and M.A. 1674. On his return home he became a pronounced Whig, and made himself so useful to the interest of King William III. that he was advanced to the Bishopric of Bangor in 1702, and translated to Heath in 1716. He died in 1724. His portrait hangs at Lambeth Palace.