Source: Chaplains in the Jurisdiction of the Presidency of Fort St George from 1647 to 1805 (Rev Frank Perry, The Church In Madras 1904)
Biography: GEORGE LEWIS was appointed to Fort St. George in 1692 for the special work of ministering to the slaves and the Portuguese Eurasians. He succeeded Elliott as principal Chaplain four years later, and remained at Fort St. George honoured and beloved till 1714, when he returned home. He was the son of George Lewis of Ambrosbury, Wilts; he matriculated at St. Mary's Hall, Oxford in 1686-7; he gra duated B.A. from Hart Hall in 1692, and took his M.A. degree on his return from India in 1715. He was then appointed Chaplain to the Eight Honourable Charles, Earl of Peter borough, and Vicar of Fighelden, co. Wilts. In 1719 he was allowed to hold the Rectory of Quarley in the County of Southampton, being close by his vicarage, by dispensation. George Lewis married at St. Mary's in 1702 Louise Poirier, daughter of Stephen Poirier, Governor of St. Helena. She died in 1707.