Source: Chaplains in the Jurisdiction of the Presidency of Fort St George from 1647 to 1805 (Rev Frank Perry, The Church In Madras 1904)
Biography: CHARLES LONG was appointed to Fort St. George or Fort St. David at the same time as Stevenson. He also was interviewed by the Archbishop of Canterbury and approved to the Directors. He arrived at Fort St. George in 1713; he was suspended in 1719-20; and returned to England in 1721. He was a son of Charles Long of Compton, co. Wilts; he was a student of Christ Church Oxford, where he matriculated in 1703 aged 17. He graduated B.A. 1707, M.A. 1710; and on his return from India he took the degrees of B.D. and D.D. in 1729. When at Fort St. George he married Elizabeth Brown, daughter of Samuel Brown, Surgeon; by her he had a son who was born and died at Fort St. George. In 1725 he was instituted to the vicarage of Chieveley, Berks; and at the same time was allowed to hold the rectory of Eaton Hastings in the same county and within a few miles of the vicarage, by dispensation.