Source: Chaplains in the HEIC 1805 to 1835 (Rev Frank Perry, The Church In Madras 1904)
Biography: MARMADUKE THOMPSON Fifth son of Thomas Thompson of London, merchant. Born 1776. Matriculated at Pembroke College, Cambridge, 1796. Graduated B.A. 1800, M.A. 1803; appointed 1806. He was one of the first five Chaplains nominated by the Rev. Charles Simeon at the request of the Directors. On his arrival he was sent to Cuddalore to minister to the cadets at that station. The cadets were removed in 1809, and Thompson was selected by the Governor of Fort St. George to be Junior Presidency Chaplain. The Senior Presidency Chaplain was Edward Vaughan. These two, with the Chaplain of Black- town, shared the whole work of the Fort, the town of Madras, and the suburbs west and south. He assisted the Black Town Committee to found the Civil Male Orphan Asylum in the absence of the Black Town Chaplain. When the old St. Mary's Poor Fund came to an end he was instrumental in founding the Friend in Need Society, and became its first President in 1813. He was the first secretary of the C.M.S. Corresponding Com mittee at Madras, and as such he helped the Society to obtain the goodwill of many of the Company's civil and military officers. When St. George's Church was ready for use in 1815, Vaughan and Thompson were transferred to it and became the first Chaplains of St. George s. Hough says that there was a party in Madras who tried to prevent Thompson's appointment to the new Church, but there is nothing in the records to show this. At the time of the appointment he had been Junior Presidency Chaplain for nearly six years. His wife died at Madras in 1819, and he went on leave to England soon afterwards. He returned to India in 1823 as Senior Presidency Chaplain, and retired in 1825. In 1831 he became Rector of Brightwell in Berkshire.