Source: Chaplains in the HEIC 1805 to 1835 (Rev Frank Perry, The Church In Madras 1904)
Biography: WILLIAM ROY was the eldest son of Robert Roy, the Principal of a private school in Kensington; his mother was Mary Forsyth. Both parents belonged to the county of Elgin in Scotland. Educated by his father, William Roy matriculated at Magdalen Hall, Oxford, in 1811, but left the University without taking a degree. He was appointed a Chaplain in 1814. After serving at Masulipatam for four years, where he attracted the notice of Edward Vaughan, the Senior Presidency Chaplain, he was posted to St. Thomas Mount and thus brought nearer to the seat of Government. Here he remained three years, and was then brought nearer still, namely to Black Town, through the influence of Vaughan, who became Archdeacon in 1819. At Black Town he had spiritual charge of the Hospital, the Jail, the Civil Orphan Asylums, as well as the ordinary parochial work, and he acquitted himself so well that in 1824 he was made Junior Presidency Chaplain and transferred to St. George's, Choultry Plain. In the following year he succeeded Marmaduke Thompson as Senior Presidency Chaplain, and he retained this position till he returned to England in 1831. On the death of Vaughan he acted as Archdeacon till the arrival of his successor. Roy was a prominent and valuable member of the S.P.C.K. and S.P.G. District Committees, and took a leading part in the preservation of the mission property when it was in jeopardy. He married Anne Catherine Gascoigne in Madras, and had a family of nine children. In 1833 he was presented to the Rectory of Skirbeck in the county of Lincoln. He died in 1852, and was buried beneath the altar of Holy Trinity Church.