Source: Chaplains in the HEICS 1836-58 (Rev Frank Perry, The Church In Madras 1904)
Biography: GEORGE KNOX was born in London in 1814, being a descendant of Andrew Knox, Bishop of Kaphoe in Ireland, whose family was seated at Eden Hill, Dromore, County Down. He was educated at St. Paul's School and at Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge, where he gained an open scholarship. He graduated B.A. in honours, 1837; and took his M.A. degree in 1855. He was ordained deacon in 1837 and priest in 1838; and obtained an appointment in the Company's service in the latter year. He spent the first ten years of his Indian life in Madras as Chaplain of Black Town, where he had charge of an extensive parish, which included the General Hospital, the Jail, and the Civil Orphan Asylums. These schools gave him the opportunity of exercising his educational powers and of carrying out his great principles of combining as closely as possible religious and secular education. In this respect he followed the lead of the best of his predecessors. He was a member of the diocesan committees of the S.P.C.K. and the S.P.G. He went to Bangalore in 1848 and remained there till he became Chaplain of Ootacamund in 1853. At Bangalore he took the same personal interest in the Cantonment schools as he had taken in the Civil Orphan Asylums; and he worked hard for the cause of additional Church accommodation and ministerial help in the station. On his retirement from the Company's service in 1855 he became one of the secretaries of the C.M.S., editor of the Christian Observer, and Curate of All Saints , Marylebone. In 1871 he became Vicar of Exton, county Rutland, where, after twenty years faithful ministry, he died.