Source: Chaplains in the HEICS 1836-58 (Rev Frank Perry, The Church In Madras 1904)
Biography: WILLIAM WYNT LUTYENS was born in 1802, being the son of John Lutyens of St. Pancras, in the county of Middlesex. He was educated at Pembroke College, Oxford, whence he graduated B.A. in 1823, and M.A. in 1826. He obtained his appointment in 1839. He served at Bangalore from 1840 to 1854, at Jacka- talla (Wellington) from 1854 to 1856, and at Calicut from that date till his retirement in 1860. During the first five years he had the advantage of working with the Rev. G. Trevor as joint Chaplain at Bangalore, and learned much from him. Together they did much strenuous work for the local St. Paul's Mission, for the cantonment schools, for the British soldiers of the garrison, for the planters of Mysore and Coorg; and they were successful in their efforts to obtain the services of another clergyman to help them to minister to the Eurasian residents in the station. There were disputes between the Chaplains and the military authorities as to who should summon Vestry meetings, who should preside at them, who should arrange the services at out-garrisons, who should choose the sermons to be read at those services, and so on. But Trevor and Lutyens together contended with judgment and moderation and won the Directors and the Government to their side. They were also successful in getting Trinity Church built. When it was finished Lutyens assumed charge and became the first Chaplain of the new district. In this capacity he was responsible for the massive original furniture of the Church. He retired in 1860 and died in 1862.