Source: Chaplains in the HEICS 1836-58 (Rev Frank Perry, The Church In Madras 1904)
Biography: GEORGE HENRY EVANS was born in Tyrone in 1805. He graduated at Trinity College, Dublin, B.A. 1828, M.A. 1832. He entered the Company's service in 1839 and retired in 1858. He served at Madras, 1840-43; Secunderabad, 1843-49; Madras, 1849-52; and Ootacamund, 1854-58. While he was at Madras he was a much esteemed member of the corresponding committee of the C.M.S. Between 1840 and 1860 only four Chaplains were invited to join that committee, Lugard, Evans, Powell, and Alcock. The S.P.C.K. and the S.P.G. committees were less exclusive. All the clergy in the Presidency town were looked upon as members, whatever their Church views might be. When at Secunderabad he was instrumental in building a small Church at Bolarum for the European officers and men in the Nizam's service, and another at Chudderghaut for the European officials connected with the Presidency. On his return to England he became Rector of Woodchester, in the county of Gloucester, where he died in 1878.