Source: Chaplains in the HEICS 1836-58 (Rev Frank Perry, The Church In Madras 1904)
Biography: HENRY TAYLOR was born in 1811 at Ashburton, in the county of Devon. He was the second son of Thomas Taylor, the Astronomer, who afterwards became Assistant Astronomer Royal at the Greenwich Observatory. His elder brother, Thomas Glanville Taylor, F.R.S. and F.R.A.S., was for some time the Astronomer at Madras. 3 Henry Taylor was a Scholar (Bible Clerk) at All Souls College, Oxford, and graduated B.C.L. in 1832. At Oxford he came under the influence of the new Tractarian party and absorbed much of their teaching. As things then were, this proved to be a great drawback to him, as to others similarly influenced, from the point of view of worldly advantage. He, like them, was always distrusted by the ecclesiastical authorities, and treated as if the new sacra mental teaching which is now generally accepted were a very dangerous heresy. He was appointed a Chaplain in the service of the East India Company in 1841. During the first eight years of his service he was at three stations, Bellary, Masulipatam, and Trichinopoly, where he was able to do excellent educational work in the cantonment schools for European and Eurasian children, as well as pastoral work among the soldiers of the garrison. In the next ten years he was moved about more than any Chaplain who preceded him; in that period he officiated for short periods at seven different places. He was a member of the Select Committee of the S.P.G. and of the Additional Clergy Society when he was stationed in or near Madras between 1853 and 1856. He had a good friend in Archdeacon Shortland, who defended him on more than one occasion. He retired from the service in 1860. A similar kind of treatment awaited him at home. The Earl of Powis befriended him and appointed him his Chaplain, but there was no ecclesiastical preferment for him. He was Curate of Batcombe in Somerset for nine years, then he became Curate of Canfield, Bidborough, and Brightside, Sheffield, successively, and died at the last-mentioned place in 1874.