Source: Chaplains in the HEICS 1836-58 (Rev Frank Perry, The Church In Madras 1904)
Biography: JOHN GRIFFITHS was born in 1813, being the son of John Griffiths of Byford, in the county of Hereford. He was educated at Christ Church, Oxford, and graduated B.A. in 1835, and M.A. in 1844. He was ordained deacon and priest at Chichester in 1838, and was curate of Hamsey, in Sussex, from that date till 1841, when he went to India as an S.P.G. missionary to take charge of the combined European and missionary work at Cochin. He returned home the following year ill. He had been tutor to the children of Lord Harris, afterwards Governor of Fort St. George, and through his influence he was appointed to a Chaplaincy in 1844. He served at Mangalore, 1844-50; Poonamallee, Black Town, Cannanore, Vizagapatam, 1854-60; Cuddalore, Cathedral, 1865-66 : and Calicut eight different places, which was an unusual number of changes at the time. Upon his retirement he became Rector of Belton and afterwards Chaplain at Spezzia. He died at Tunbridge Wells in 1891.