Source: Chaplains in the HEICS 1836-58 (Rev Frank Perry, The Church In Madras 1904)
Biography: JOHN RICHARDS was a Scholar of Trinity College, Cambridge. He graduated B.A. in 1844, having obtained a second class in both classical and mathematical honours. He proceeded to the M.A. degree in 1847. He was ordained deacon in 1844, and priest in 1845, at Gloucester. From 1845 to 1848 he was Chaplain of Trinity College, Cambridge, and Curate of St. Andrew's the Great, in the town. In 1848 he was appointed a Chaplain by the East India Company. He served at St. Thomas Mount, 1849-58; Wellington, 1861-63; St. Thomas Mount, 1863-65; Fort St. George, 1865-66. He was a very prominent educationalist. He was a Fellow and Public Examiner of the University of Madras between 1848 and 1866; Inspector of Schools, 1855-58, when his further services in this capacity were dispensed with by order of the Court of Directors. He was a member of the diocesan committee of the S.P.G. from 1850 to the end of his service; and gave his valuable assistance to the Additional Clergy Society and the Church Building Society. On his retirement he became Vicar of Ash, 1869-84, and Rector of Tansor, 1884-98, when he died.