Source: Chaplains in the HEICS 1836-58 (Rev Frank Perry, The Church In Madras 1904)
Biography: CHARLES RHENIUS was born in 1821, being the son of the Rev. C. T. E. Rhenius, the C.M.S. missionary and Tamil scholar, who married a Miss Van Someren. He was educated at the C.M.S. College, Islington; was ordained deacon at London in 1845, for mission work abroad, after being accepted by the C.M.S. for their work in Tinnevelly. He was ordained priest at Colombo in 1847, and worked at Suviseshapuram under the Rev. E. Sargent afterwards Bishop till 1850. He was then placed in charge of the Dhonavoor District, where he remained for nearly two years. Meanwhile he married Margaret Elphin- stone, daughter of Major Elphinstone, the Deputy Assistant Commissary-General at Madras. His sister was married to Colonel Brockman, of the Madras Army, at that time a member of the Mysore Commission. In 1851 he returned home, gave up his mission work, and became Curate-in-charge of Deddington, in the diocese of Oxford. In 1854 the East India Company appointed him a Chaplain. He served at Cannanore, 1854-60; Coonoor, 1865-67; Bangalore, 1867-69; Fort St. George, 1869-72; and he died at Fort St. George in 1874.