Source: SPG Missionary (Rev Frank Perry, The Church In Madras 1904)
Biography: WILLIAM HOWELL was an Englishman in the service of the London Missionary Society. He worked for several years with success at Cuddapah, and was then attracted to the Church by Bishop Spencer. He was ordained deacon and priest in 1842. It was not considered fair to his former Society to keep him working at his old station; he was therefore moved to Vallaveram. And within two years had erected a Church for the congregation. It was consecrated by Bishop Spencer, and named in honour of St. Stephen, in 1844. He continued to work at Vallaveram for fourteen years, when his health failed and he was pensioned.