Source: SPG Missionary (Rev Frank Perry, The Church In Madras 1904)
Biography: GEORGE UGLOW POPE was the eldest of four brothers who exercised their priesthood in India. G. U. Pope arrived at Madras in 1839 in the service of the Wesleyan Missionary Society. But Bishop Spencer attracted him as he attracted others, and he was ordained deacon in 1843 and priest in 1845. As his special gift was that of teaching he was appointed Principal of the Sawyerpuram Seminary for the training of Catechists, and retained that position from 1843 to 1850. He was then placed in charge of the Tanjore Mission, including the High School founded by Schwartz; and there he remained till 1858. He then gave up his missionary work and opened a school for the sons of European officers at Ootacamund. In 1871 he went to Bangalore as Warden of the Bishop Cotton Schools and Incumbent of All Saints Church. He was instrumental in raising the schools to a high state of efficiency and usefulness. On his return home he was S.P.G. Secretary in the diocese of Manchester, 1882-85; Lecturer in Tamil and Telugu at the University of Oxford, and Chaplain of Balliol College from 1888 till his death in 1903. He was appointed a Fellow of the University of Madras in 1859; created a D.D. by the Arch bishop of Canterbury in 1864; and received the degree of M.A. by decree from the University of Oxford in 1886.