Source: SPG Missionary (Rev Frank Perry, The Church In Madras 1904)
Biography: JAMES PHILIP FLETCHER began his missionary work in 1842 as a lay member of the Chaldaean Mission under the S.P.C.K. He returned home in 1845 and was ordained deacon for work abroad by the Bishop of London. He then went to Madras in connection with the S.P.G. and worked at Edyengoody with Dr. Caldwell, at Canendagoody and at Vepery. He was ordained priest by the Bishop of Madras in 1847; in the following year he was invalided home and was obliged to give up his Indian work. During the year 1847, when he was at Vepery, he was in charge of the Christ Church, Mount Road, congregation.