Source: Clergymen who where neither Chaplins nor Missionaries (Rev Frank Perry, The Church In Madras 1904)
Biography: JOHN RIGG was an English school teacher who was appointed first assistant master of the Bishop Corrie School in 1840, by Mr. James Kerr, M.A., the first Head Master. He held this position with credit to himself under Kerr, Symonds, and Horton until 1849. He was ordained deacon in 1844 by Bishop Spencer, in order that he might give clerical help in Black Town. In 1849 he resigned his appointment at the school, and opened a private school at Ootacamund, at a house known as Stonehouse, for the sons of the Civil and Military officers of the Company. In this venture he was fairly successful. He died in 1857.