Source: Clergymen who where neither Chaplins nor Missionaries (Rev Frank Perry, The Church In Madras 1904)
Biography: PHILIP JOHN JELLY was ordained deacon in 1849, and priest in 1852, by the Bishop of Madras, and was placed at once in charge of the local mission of Bellary, which was under the general superintendence of the Chaplain of the station. There was a small Church for the native Christians and a parsonage. These had been supplied, together with a mission endowment fund, by the kindness of the civil and military officers of the garrison. Mr. Jelly remained in charge from 1849 to 1863, when he died.