Source: Native Clergymen (Rev Frank Perry, The Church In Madras 1904)
Biography: GNANAPRAGASAM PARANJODY . As far as can be ascertained, Paranjody was a Tanjore man, brought up by the Rev. J. C. Kohlhoff. He was ordained deacon in 1842, and priest in 1844, by Bishop Spencer, after employment as a Catechist in the Tanjore District. He was placed in charge of the Secunderabad mission on his ordination in 1842. This mission was commenced by a former Chaplain of the station, and was intended to benefit the Tamil servants of the Civil and Military officers. The Chaplain superintended it; the expenses were paid by the officers through him; and the Tamil congregation wor shipped in the garrison Church. In course of time the work grew beyond the power of the Chaplain to attend to it. The appointment of Paranjody was the outward sign of the blessing which had attended previous efforts. When he was appointed the mission was handed over entirely to the S.P.G.; and the officers of the station continued to support it with their sympathy and their alms. Paranjody was much respected by them. With their financial help he was able to establish an orphanage and two day schools in Secunderabad, and day schools in Trimulgherry and Bolarum. The native congregation worshipped in the Station Church till 1853, when a Church for their own use was built for them. Major Hall, of the Company's Service, supplied the greater part of the cost. This building was consecrated by Bishop Thomas Dealtry, and named at the request of the native Christians in honour of the Apostle St. Thomas, with a probable reference to the Bishop. Paranjody died in 1861.