Source: Chaplains in the Jurisdiction of the Presidency of Fort St George from 1647 to 1805 (Rev Frank Perry, The Church In Madras 1904)
Biography: SAMUEL STAVELEY belonged to Sherborne in the county of Dorset. He was a scholar of Emmanuel College Cambridge, to which college he was admitted in 1736. The college records show that he was organist of the college chapel; he had had therefore a musical as well as a literary training. He graduated B.A. in 1740 and M.A. in 1747. In 1741 he was ordained Deacon by the Bishop of Bath and Wells. In 1742 he received a corrody from the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Hospital of the Holy Trinity at Croydon, and was licensed to the office of Schoolmaster in the Whitgift Free School. He arrived at Fort St. George in June 1752; he served at Fort St. David for a year till August 1753, and then returned to Fort St. George. Here he remained till 1762 when the President and Council of Fort William asked that he might be allowed to go to Calcutta to fill the place of a Chaplain there who had just died. He died at Fort William in October of the same year.