Source: Chaplains in the Jurisdiction of the Presidency of Fort St George from 1647 to 1805 (Rev Frank Perry, The Church In Madras 1904)
Biography: EDWARD VAUGHAN was born in 1766; he is described in the entrance book of his college simply as Middlesexiensis, annos habens viginti quatuor. He matriculated at St. Peter's College Cambridge in 1790, graduated B.A. in 1794, M.A. 1798. In the following year he was appointed a Chaplain by the Directors, but his name does not appear in the Canterbury Act Book as approved. He arrived at Madras in March 1800, and applied to be allowed to officiate at Seringapatam; but the Government had already appointed A. T. Clarke to that station; he was there fore despatched to Masulipatam, which was then the head- quarters of the Northern Division of the Army. Here he remained till 1805 when he was appointed to be Presidency Junior Chaplain under Dr. Kerr. He remained at Fort St. George till St. George's Church on the Choultry Plain was completed in 1814, when he became Chaplain of St. George s. He was associated there with the Rev, John Mousley, Fellow of Balliol College Oxford, who was appointed the first Arch deacon of Madras under the Charter of 1813. Archdeacon Mousley died in 1819; Edward Vaughan succeeded him as second Archdeacon. He retained this office till 1828, when he retired from the service. He married at Fort St. George in December 1805 Cecilia, daughter of General Collins, by whom he had three daughters who were all baptised at the Fort. His wife died in 1810, and was buried in the St. Mary's Burial ground. According to the Index Ecclesiasticus he received no preferment in England, but retired into private life. In 1810 he was commissioned by the Archbishop of Canterbury to consecrate the Church and Burial ground at Masulipatam at the request of the Directors. Two years later he was again specially commissioned by the Archbishop, at the request of the Directors, to consecrate the Churches and Burial grounds at Bangalore, Bellary, Cannanore and Trichinopoly; the chapel at Masulipatam built by General Pater; aud the Burial ground of St. Mary's, Fort St. George. The Act Book of the Archbishop shows that the necessary instruments and instructions were sent for the several purposes; but there is no record that the powers conferred were made use of except in the case of the Masulipatam Church. The establishment of a bishopric at Calcutta in 1813 probably had something to do with the postponement of the use of the powers.