Source: Chaplains in the Jurisdiction of the Presidency of Fort St George from 1647 to 1805 (Rev Frank Perry, The Church In Madras 1904)
Biography: WILLIAM THOMSON was appointed to succeed Smythees in 1668; he arrived at Fort St. George in that year, and remained there for two years whilst Mr. George Foxcroft was Governor. In 1670 it was complained against him by the authorities of Fort St. George that he was not rightly ordained; and the complaint was sent to the Directors, the Archbishop of Canterbury and the King. Though satisfied as to his Holy Orders, the King directed his recall. In 1681 he was instituted to the Rectory of Lee, Essex, and was then described as M.A.; but his college and university cannot at present be ascertained.